Saturday, May 8, 2010

Well last week proved to be a bit of a struggle. The drug (Metronidazole) took three or four days to calm things down but I have to take a full 10 day course to reduce the risk of re-infection. The trouble is that the drug appears to be causing unpleasant side effects; dizziness, nausea, watery swollen eyes and a general lack of energy. At least I think it’s the drug - they did not want me anywhere near the hospital last week in case I brought the C.Diff with me, so no blood tests done for a fortnight.

I would have liked to have been feeling a lot better than I was for the trip up to Edinburgh to hear Rokia Traore, but despite the dizzy feelings I was rocking in my seat to her music; a brilliant performance by her and her excellent backing group. (Unfortunately the support group who came on in the first half were a complete embarrassment with no stage presence whatsoever but at least I could keep my watery eyes closed for most of it).

It was suggested that I should start taking Domperidon, the anti sickness drug, to see if it reduced the side effects of the first drug; so I’m trying it for the rest of the course. Too many damn pills for my liking; can’t wait to get off this cocktail. Tomorrow will be the last of the daily ciclosporin, it is then reduced to every third day for the final fortnight. I suspect that the watery eyes business may well be a manifestation of GvHD and nothing to do with the Metronidazole . If it’s not one thing it’s another; but still there is life at the end of the tunnel. What a long drawn-out business this is ! Just over half way now (6 months) and probably more surprises waiting round the corner.

I saw the first pair of swallows arriving a couple of days ago; very late this year. Meanwhile, in the glazed link between the pottery and the house, the first cactus bloom has cascaded over Christine's 'Acrobats cake stand'.

No comments:

Post a Comment