Saturday, February 6, 2010

T.108

So why is this 100 day hurdle so special ? Red blood cells have a life span of 100 - 120 days and are created from stem cells in the bone marrow. So round about now, the last of my own blood group should be vanishing and being replaced by the donor’s ( depending on how much of the old ‘me’ survived the chemo ). The balance between the two is going to be a fairly good guide as to what is going on deep in the marrow and how successful the transplant has been. I expect that all will be revealed over the next couple of weeks. The long term aim is for the donor cells to take over completely.

Hey ! This week’s extra couple of pints of blood has made an immediate difference. I can walk up the hill without my heart feeling like it’s about to burst and my legs feeling like lead weights are attached. Could not resist trying out my bike muscles for the first time. Took a whizz down to the far beach at sunset to see the tide coming in. Today really felt like the first day of Spring. There was a real warmth to the sun and not a breath of wind. The air was full of bird song. Inigo and Extrapuss thought it was heavenly.

3 comments:

1. Oh, nice!

That's interesting about the red blood cells. I hadn't taken that in.

ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the first warmth of spring sunshine! That's something of a milestone too after all the snow and cold that you have been having in your part of the world. So glad to see that you are making progress and have been able to keep out of hospital for some time now. Lovely photos of your beautiful country!
    Best Wishes,

ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rodger, Hope the trip to Glasgow was good today. Bone biopsy sounds like a sore bum in the making, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you've put up with since last Autumn, so you'll sail through it. V nice to hear about the bike trip. Much more like your fit self. Good to remind yourself who you really are and what you can do. You're right about the seasons being on the turn too. We have a wee bunch of snowdrops under a tree in the garden. Just love snowdrops.
    see you soon vj and Andy XX

ReplyDelete