Thursday, January 28, 2010

T.100

Tomorrow is T.100. Next week is to be a busy one. Glasgow are going to do a bone marrow biopsy on Monday and make their 100 day assessment. On Tuesday the Dumfries Team are to give me a blood transfusion; and on Thursday they are going to remove the Hickman line.

It will take a couple of weeks to get the results back from the bone marrow biopsy. They drill into the hip bone, just to one side of the spine, and remove an inch or so core sample from the marrow. The desired result is to see 100% donor stem cells. It will be interesting to see what the actual chimerism turns out to be.

My last blood transfusion was round about 25th of November. The haemoglobin levels have been dropping ever since, creating the odd situation, since Christmas, of feeling more and more tired with each week that passes. Looking at the graph, they seem to be levelling off at about 86 but that is a lot less oxygen carrying capability than the 138 I started off with in October.

So it will be interesting to see what sort of a boost it gives. Maybe I’ll get my first mountain bike ride of 2010 in a fortnight’s time ? (just on the forest roads, Christine, I promise !)

8 comments:

1. 100 days, well here it is. Got my fingers crossed for the bike ride but for heavens sake be careful!
    x

ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reaching 100, Rodger! Do you get a telegram from the Queen?

Best of luck with next weeks activities!

ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and is that a beard I see sprouting away there?

ReplyDelete
  4. Not much hair round the back of my neck or ears but the chin is beginning to keep the chill out. Must have been all those lollies I sucked during the chemo.

Christine was hoping to trade me in for a dark haired young frenchman but not much sign of that so far.

ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rodger, happy hairy hundred! These must have seemed like the longest 100 days. Here's to the next 100 days being easier going.

Andy and VJ XX

ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Rodger,
    Trust that the bone marrow test is constructive and that the other procedures result in a positive outcome
    Ray and Syl

ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  8. Oi Beardy!

Well done for reaching 100. Hope next week goes well.

Love Philip

ReplyDelete