Thursday, December 17, 2009

Transplant day 56

Have five whole days passed since I last stopped to write? The weather has been very kind and gentle and I have managed to walk a couple of miles almost every day this past week; trying to establish a routine of a midday walk before lunch for 40 minutes so that I can fit in an hour’s sleep in the early afternoon. That works unless it is a Monday or Thursday morning clinic in Glasgow or Dumfries respectively (then it’s a late afternoon walk if there’s still light).

Today was a Dumfries Thursday clinic with the usual blood tests which were all quite good levels. (I am on a reducing dose of steroids that give a slightly artificially high white blood count). Today’s extra was the once a month inhalation of Pentamidine to protect my lungs; that took up an additional 20 minutes. Sister Liz Rae was dealing with me; she is very good at positive thinking and at making you feel special. According to her I am doing much better than an average transplant patient at day 56, which is most encouraging. Having so much caring support from Christine is such a help for me to focus on this whole long drawn out recovery business. But that’s another good week to tick off.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rodger, so glad the pace of your recovery is picking up.
    I hope that having an increasing length of "feeling good" time is helping your confidence. I think if I had felt yucky for as long as you have, I would have lost my confidence, and would wonder if I could ever take feeling well, for 2 days running, for granted again!
    I know it still feels very slow to you, but that's a measure of what a fit bod you really are. I like the sound of Sister Rae.

    I think in a year's time, you'll be moaning, like the rest of us, if you get a spot on the end of your nose, which lasts for 2 days!
    love no hugs
    VJ and family XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - just noticed that I wrote "love no hugs", (which is a bit of a stingy typo!!!)
    sorry, meant to write "love 'n' hugs"!!! XX
    ....it's been a long day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. all good news. we like that. keep warm out there. x

    ReplyDelete