Wednesday, October 14, 2009

T.-8

Well, not much of a nights sleep. I’m sure I will get accustomed to the noise of the air filtration system but last night felt like an overnight journey on a North Sea ferry with a cabin down near the engine room. Then a 5.30am wake-up call for blood samples and anti-sickness infusions ! I was still in the shower when breakfast arrived a 8.00am sharp.

I rang Christine just after 9 to catch her before she got underway in the pottery. Grandfather had stayed the night having hatched a cunning plan to surprise her with a ready made supper on her return from Glasgow, bless him. I could hear the background sound of Inigo grabbing some breakfast before rushing off to college for the day. My room cleaner arrived in the midst of our conversation.

It was pretty much non-stop until mid morning but after the doctors had done their rounds and I’d signed my consent form there was a brief lull for 1/2 an hour. I had tried to do my Tai Chi exercises through all the hustle and bustle but struggled to stay focused. I tried a second round in the quiet spell and it was a little better. At least it got the muscles going and produced a bit of heat, even if it didn’t clear and relax the mental space as much as I’d hoped. The amazing thing is that my room has enough of a clear space at one side of the bed to do it at all.

A short while after 11am a machine for the drips was set up permanently alongside my bed. The antihistamine went in over the first half hour, along with a couple of paracetamol, quickly followed by small amount of chemo (mabCampath) again over half an hour. There was no alarming reaction to it so the flow rate was increased for the next period. It’s now way after 2pm and I’m still having the stuff dripped into me; I have written letters and eaten lunch sitting cross-legged on the bed. It will probably induce the need for an afternoon snooze shortly. I have a feeling that bedtime will be a lot earlier today than yesterday. The internet signal looks very iffy from my bed; I may have to wheel my drip machine over to the window or leave until later. Yeah, maybe ‘later’ sounds good.
Two hours later..... antihistamines do make you drowsy!!Did I say there were no alarming reactions? Bring on the next anti-histamines quick !

No comments:

Post a Comment