Tuesday, November 17, 2009


This morning’s visit to the ‘Friends’ for morning coffee saw me making a new friend - Gobi. We have been saying ‘Hi’ to each other for several days and were already on first name terms but today he decided to come and chat and really get to know me. He’s a workaholic with ‘iPhone’ and 10” inch mini computer and is treating his stay at the Beatson for Chemo like an extension to his office. He is a Sri Lankan bio chemist working for the NHS and has attended lectures given by my brother-in-law in his roll as professor of psychiatry. Small world ! His field of study is the long term effects of binge drinking and its connection with dementia and the time bomb that is ticking for the NHS. Scary stuff.

This afternoon saw more signs of preparation to leave tomorrow. I had to breath in Pentamidine through a nebulizer for about 20 minutes. It’s to protect my lungs for the next month while I’m breathing ‘normal’ air; and then in a months time it will be repeated. This evening I am due the first of two bags of red blood cells to give my haemoglobin levels a wee boost prior to leaving. This could be my last night in here; how exciting after 5 solid weeks !

4 comments:

  1. Exciting, like the night before Christmas. Bet you can't wait to sleep in your own bed again. Christine will certainly be very glad to have you home. You've certainly met some interesting folks there. So odd to find that Christine's/ your family have taught them both!!!
    sleep well.
    vj and family XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you get back home! Enjoy your blood.

    Love Philip

    ReplyDelete