Sunday, November 15, 2009



Well, Christine and I never smelt it, but one of the nurses decided she could smell electrical burning in my room, and she fetched another and another and suddenly it was time for fire alarms and the pair of us had to abandon my room.... permanently. We spent the next hour, when I usually have an afternoon nap, just moving every scrap of clothing, toiletries, CDs, books, posters and get-well cards from room 6 on one side of the corridor to room 9; it’s mirror image on the other side. Internally the room is identical in layout but when I leave it I have to remember to turn right instead of left; and the window faces South which means there is no reflected light from the building opposite. The best thing about the new room is that the air conditioning fan is quieter through working less hard because the door pressure seals are much better.
So eventually I got a late afternoon snooze and Christine went off for some fresh air and exercise down the road. Earlier the morning had been taken up by Christine and I having an extended coffee break c/o ‘the Friends’ and discussing all the previous day’s events down in Yorkshire, where the time had come for the clearing of my mother’s house, bless her. The family have all rallied round and managed to get the bulk of the sorting done, but there’s more going on today and tomorrow; while I am stuck here like a beached whale counting Neutrophils (which, incidentally, are back to a more expected 1.57)

2 comments:

  1. Ah well, they say a move is as good as a nap (or something similiar)!

    Just as we were all getting used to (and a bit attached to) your previous room. I feel as though they should have asked us (blogees)if we could smell anything, before they swooshed you out! There'll have to be some frantic picture taking now, so we've all had a good snoop round before you go home.

    There are definately some grey shoots of recovery going on on your dome. Same cheeky grin tho!

    Just before I logged on I caught about 30 seconds of "I'm a celebrity (30 seconds is more than enough I think!)
    It occurred to me that you're very lucky not to be a tv celebrity, because for them to get their b & b, they had to jump out of a plane, and one of them had to eat a v big spider alive - eek!
    Although you have to tough out the Glasgow diet, at least it's not running away from you. (Maybe the other way round, but?)
    Happy Sunday VJ and family XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey, a fire!

    Whatever next?

    This is the blog that keeps on giving :)

    Love e

    ReplyDelete